An ancient farm in a beautiful corner of the Arda Valley, a stone’s throw from the perched village of Castell’Arquato. The “Pusterla” winery is located in a beautiful corner of the Arda Valley, on the sweet Piacenza hills, covered with woods, fields and vineyards, and dotted with ancient villages such as Castell’Arquato, Vigolo Marchese, and ancient castles such as Vigoleno and Gropparello.
The history of Pusterla dates back centuries. On the left shore of the Chiavenna stream the remains of a Roman tenant’s rustic villa have been found. Around the year 1000 a fortalice was erected by the Obertenga family on the same site. The fortalice was destroyed in 1314 by the troops of Visconti, lords of Milan, and rebuilt in 1400 by the Pusterla family, whose successors sold it to the family of the present owners at the end of World War II.
The “Pusterla” winery has a surface of 89 consolidated acres, 57 of which under vine. The favorable sun exposure of vineyards, the low fertility of the sandy-clayey soil, the low natural yields and the careful agronomic care devoted to the vineyards – aiming at respecting the natural biological rhythms as much as possible – allow to harvest excellent quality grapes, which are the only safe starting point to obtain an outstanding wine.
The processing cellar features modern equipment to carry out the best wine making and grape processing, and to optimize the quality of our typical Piacenza hills wines. Our reserves are refined in oak barrels in the castle’s ancient cellar, in a naturally ideal environment for wine ageing. The owner families, Freschi and Gandolfi, welcome both customers and occasional visitors throughout the year. The “Pusterla” winery offers its guests two wine tasting rooms and a cozy inner yard.